02 May 2006

Rally

Yesterday was the march and rally for immigrant reform here in downtown Chicago. From when I first heard there was going to be this second one, I knew I wanted to go. While it is certainly not only a Latino issue in the U.S., it largely is all over and especially here in Chicago where so many of them have come. Living in a Hispanic neighborhood and having ministered in Hispanic parishes for many years, I especially wanted to show my support against the overly punitive legislation that is up in Congress right now. I also know of a number of Polish immigrants and Lithuanian immigrants, so I wanted to show my support for them as well.

I was so impressed to see so many people come together for a cause. The streets of downtown Chicago were filled with people. The estimates are anywhere from 400,000 to 700,000. And not one arrest was made. It was very peaceful. I did not walk the entire march route, but took the train downtown and met up with the march there. One of the very first things I saw was the St. Clare Parish banner being held high. I felt proud they were present.

We walked over to the south end of Grant Park where it was just a sea of people. Without really knowing it, I ended up very close to the stage of speakers. Probably only 15 people deep. In the three and half hours I stood there, I moved only a few feet one way or the other there were so many people pressed together. I saw a large number of Mexican flags, Polish flags, Irish flags and flags I don't even know. Of course the flag most present was the American flag.

While I do believe that it is best that everyone from other countries should be properly documented, the problem is that this country makes it so difficult and the system so messed up that it becomes almost impossible for many to acheive legal status. In the meantime, the bill that passed the House wants to make undocumented immigrants felons and throw them in jail. Perhaps the most immoral part of that bill is that it would also criminalize any act of helping an undocumented person. That means that any one of us who would give someone a cup of soup, help them find a job, or give them any other assistance could potentially be imprisoned. What has this country come to?

I do not intend to start a political debate with anyone who disagrees with me. But if you want more information, here is the link to the "Justice for Immigrants" (of the Catholic Church) website where you can also write your congressman to support the other bill in Congress supporting immigrant reform.

Justice for Immigrants

4 Comments:

Blogger Lost A Sock said...

Well written.

And so much for our rights... I just hope they don't find those 57 immigrants you've been hiding in your basement. 10-12 years for you, at least.

11:36 PM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Jen.

I too was in the sea of people here in Los Angeles. And the thigk that has most impressed me has been the fact that these protests have taken place without any violence. In the span of roughly one month there have been 3 public actions of between 300,000 and 500,00 here in LA and not a single incident with police.
Amazing !!!
The preacher in me attributes it the wearing of white (think baptismal garment), but that's another post.

11:35 AM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written.

4:34 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Frema said...

Ditto. What Oneida said. :)

8:04 AM, May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home