06 February 2006

So just what IS a mistress of the divine?

Perhaps you are wondering what the title of this blog means? It is a take-off on the degree I received from CTU last May. It is a masters of divinity degree. So more than one person teased me that after receiving it I became not a "master" but a "mistress" of the divine.

Hardly.

More often than not, I do not feel as though I am a master of the divine at all. I don't mean that I am not in charge of the divine or something - of course that cannot be the case. I am saying I sometimes do not feel qualified about the topics of God, theology, etc. even though I was conferred this degree. "I have them all fooled," I've thought more than once. How stupid could they be to think I should be getting this degree?

I took all the course, did all the formation, preached, read, wrote papers, yet somehow I still don't feel quite qualified.

Of course who of us is "qualified" to be trying to explain the Divine. Pretty big task and pretty audacious of us to think we can ever "master" the divine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit I was wondering about the title.

Allow me to share with you what the bishop who ordained me Deacon told me. None of us is qualified for that to which we are called. Yet God calls us anyway.

Go back through the Old Testament call stories. Moses stuttered. Jeremiah was too young. Yet God called them and took care of the rest. And so God does with you.

11:38 AM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Lost A Sock said...

So I'll try to not follow that nice comment with something totally smart-a$$...

I don't think anyone feels "qualified." My first day of teaching I nearly went in the corner and laughed knowing that they thought I was a real teacher - I was a kid! I was also somewhat shocked that people were so willing to let me take my children home from the hospital.

Experience is the best teacher, and before you know it you'll be "broken in" (stress the BROKE part, eh?) and you'll feel like a pro.

5:17 PM, February 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that way too, but feel much better when I talk to the "pew dwellers" as someone calls them. I think I know nothing until I talk to other people and realize I at least know more than they do and thus have something to give. I'm with "lost a sock" when I went into the classroom for the first time and these people thought I was a teacher and not a kid. - Jen

12:05 PM, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home